The La Salette Schools are owned and operated by the Missionaries of Our Lady of La Salette in the Province of Isabela in the northeastern part of Luzon, Region 02. This Catholic Religious Missionary Congregation came to Isabela in 1948 in response to an appeal by the Roman Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Tuguegarao, Most Rev. Constance Jurgens, CICM, to help in ministering the Catholic population of the central part of the Diocese. Out of 11 towns entrusted to their care, 8 high schools, 1 university and 8 elementary were established in 8 of these municipalities.
In November 1941, three newly ordained La Salette priests boarded the SS President Grant in San Francisco to sail to the La Salette Missionaries in Burma. On December 8, Pearl Harbor was bombed and America was at war with Japan. The passengers of the ship were ordered to disembark and sleep on the shore.
Manila was occupied by the Japanese who placed all foreigners under house arrest. The three priest: Joseph Descoteau, John Doherty and Fred Julien sought and found refuge with the Jesuits. In 1944, Fathers Descoteau and Julien were moved to Los Banos, a hill country 40 miles of Manila...
During the early years of the La Salette Missionaries, most of the parishes entrusted to their care were located in the Northern part of Luzon particularly in the Province of Isabela. At present, there is only one left in the Diocese of Ilagan, Isabela, 2 in the Diocese of Lingayen-Dagupan, Pangasinan, 2 in the Diocese of Vigan, Ilocos Sur, 2 in the Diocese of Novaliches, 1 in the Diocese of Antipolo, Rizal and 1 in the Diocese of Imus, Cavite.
The La Salette Missionaries Ina ng Pag-asa Province ministers in North America, in Australia and in Africa.
Ten years after the Missionaries of Our Lady of La Salette set foot on Philippine soil, the formation program in the Vice-Province has begun.
To trace back what had happened during these years, it was on May 11, 1957 that the first Filipino La Salette was ordained to the Priesthood: Fr. Jose Nacu, MS.
The decade of the 50's also marked the first profession of vows of Fr. Efren Musngi, MS, Fr. Francisco Maliwat, MS and Fr. Rutillo Mallillin, MS, all of whom had their formation in the United States.
We are a community of religious brothers and priests. Our Vocation Promotions Office is in-charge for those who feel called to live a religious way of life particularly as ambassadors of Reconcilation.